Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Day 9: Teenage Drama

I thought that by having sons, I would escape the typical teenage drama. And then one of my sons became a teenager. I found out I was wrong. Boys may not have the same dramas as girls, but there is drama all the same.

My oldest son Liam is 14-years-old. He is a high school freshman and has found that he loves performing in the theatre. He got the lead in his very first play and discovered "his people". With the personality of a theatre person, I know that I'm in for some big time drama in the next few years.

Today, I got a taste, albeit a mild one, of that teenage drama. Liam started dating his girlfriend in eighth grade. She is a really sweet girl and has a terrific family. They have a lot in common and have been friends for years before they became a couple. For the last year and a half, they have been all their friends' idea of the "perfect couple". We were very grateful that they were very laid-back and didn't take themselves or each other too seriously.

Today, he decided to break up with her. He felt that they had been growing apart and never really spent much time together anymore. He had theatre rehearsals, she played club volleyball, and they only saw each other in English class. I found out some of the details of the "event" from her mom, with whom I became friends over the course of their relationship. As hard as it must have been to break up a long-term relationship (for a 14-year-old), I felt pride that he handled it maturely. That is...face-to-face.

I'm sure this is only the beginning of the romance-related drama before he finally settles down for good. Just another day raising teenagers.

5 comments:

  1. I also have boys, two of them. I also thought there would be less drama too. There is not. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job of how he handled it - you have done well! I have two teens - 17 and 19 - there will be lots of drama - but remember sometimes you just take it a day at a time. It gets better. Great slice - he is a mature young man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute that he said "they were growing apart! Got to love it!!! Oh there can be drama with boys! I married my husband who had 3 boys! They are all grown up now with kids of their own and wonderful parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the joys of teenaged angst! Having a daughter who is very much dramatic, I think I'll go with the face to face break up (to which I'm very impressed too!) on occasion! :)

    ReplyDelete