Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Day 8: Friends and the Support They Give

It wouldn't be a typical week in my life if I didn't think I was going to lose my mind from all the crazy-busy demands placed on me day in and day out. I love my job, I love my students, I love my family and my kids. In spite of some limitations by circumstance and finances, I have a pretty great life. But sometimes, it gets to be a bit too much and I need to just unplug and disconnect from the things that are driving me crazy.

Most people turn to their friends to help them take their mind off what is making them go nuts. I don't have many close friends. My best friend moved from Ohio to Texas several years ago and I've never found anyone to take her place as my go-to person, not that anyone could! More often than not, I prefer spending time with family or alone. I have learned to embrace and look forward to the rare "me day". I'm hoping I have the chance for one during this month-long challenge and will be able to make that its own post.

I really don't have anyone I meet for lunch, dinner, drinks, a night out. We don't have any other couples that we socialize with. We really are homebodies. For the most part, I'm okay with that. But, there are times when you just have to talk to someone who will understand. I'm fortunate that my teaching team is that for me. We have a great time just being silly, going for coffee or drinks, or even planning together. We'll never be a group that vacations together or even really gets together outside of work and our immediate shared interests. And that's okay too. I'm grateful for them and the role we are able to play in each other's lives.

1 comment:

  1. I envy the closeness you have with your teaching team. I'm the only one in my grade level, I often refer to myself as a lonely only. My coworkers are fun and friendly but outside of school it just doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete