Tuesday, March 10, 2015

SOL 10: My Maker Space

I am fortunate to work with some amazing people. Smart, creative, tech-savvy people who are generous with their time and talents. I am also fortunate to work in a district that gives those teachers the ability to host and participate in valuable professional development.

I recently joined a group of teachers coming together to explore the possibilities of digital creativity. Hosted every other week in person, as well as in the digital forum of Google+, Cathy Mere (Merely Day By Day) and Julie Johnson (Raising Readers and Writers) are bringing teachers together from several districts in Central Ohio (and around the world!) to use a variety of digital tools to express our creativity.

The first time we met, we chose what our One Little Word (OLW) for 2015 would be and created a way to digitally share our word. I wrote a post about my OLW - Family just before the SOL challenge began. You can read about it and view the trailer I made with the iMovie app on my iPad here.

The second time we met, our task was to share our "Maker Space"; the place where we get creative. For me, I have a room in my house where I have a large space created for the purpose of scrapbooking. It is my personal space where I can sew, write lesson plans, write, and create other crafting projects. This is actually half of my bedroom, which is in the basement. It has all of my supplies, lesson planning resources, a place to relax, and a television with a DVD player. It's like my own personal refuge. I chose to share my Maker Space by creating an image in the Pic Collage app on my iPad.

What is your maker space? How do you get creative in your space?


2 comments:

  1. I never thought of my cubby/office full of scrapbooking, stamping, knitting and art supplies would be a maker's space. AHA! We had some creative time today in 1st. I guess we were makers today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn,
    I am so glad you are a part of the community. I know I will learn a lot from your journey. of course, it is also comforting to know you will be on hand for all of my tech glitches.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete