Sunday, March 23, 2014

SOL Day 23: Me Day

Every once in a while, I get to have a day (or at least a few hours) all to myself. I call this "Me" day.  I am fully encouraged in this by my husband, who takes point on keeping the boys entertained while I am gone. Today was a long-awaited "Me" day. 

Sometimes I choose a date to be "Me" day because I've been stressed out at work, or I've been sick, or just in need of a pick-me-up.  Usually "me" days coincide with the release of a movie that I want to see. Although my husband is a film critic and gets to see movies before they are released in the theaters, I rarely go see them with him because I want to watch and enjoy the movie without his critical eye, and discussions following the movie, clouding my opinion of it. 

I have been anxiously awaiting the release of "Divergent," the movie made from the book by Veronica Roth. It is a trilogy and I have read the first book at least 4 times. I just finished re-reading it yesterday so that I was ready for a book-to-movie comparison with the story fresh in my mind. So, "me" day started with a 10:20 am screening of "Divergent."


Next up was lunch. The great thing about a "me" day is that you can get anything you want for lunch. I usually pick a place that nobody else in my family likes, or is too expensive to take the whole family. Today I chose to go to Piada. I had a salad, a Piada stick, and a Diet Pepsi. I enjoyed my lunch while checking Facebook and reading a book on my phone. 



Finally, the last item on the "me" day agenda was a pedicure. I haven't had my toes done since before I went on my cruise in February. It's so relaxing to soak my feet, have my nails trimmed, a nice leg massage, and finally new polish. I tend to go back-and-forth in color extremes when I get pedicures. Last time, I got a bright pink polish because it was very Spring-like and I was feeling down from all the snow. Today, I got an extreme opposite color. I got a shimmery black. Not sure why, it just kind of struck me.


Some people have a hard time doing things by themselves. I used to be that way, too. But when my best friend moved away, I lost my movie buddy. The rest of my friends are busy with their own things. Besides, now that I've hit the big 4-0, I've learned to be okay with doing things by myself. I get to pick the movie, I get to pick the lunch place, and I can sit back and relax and be pampered in the pedicure chair. What would you do on a "me" day?

6 comments:

  1. Carolyn,
    It looks like you had a perfect "me" day. So what did you think of the movie?

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall, I liked it. But, there were some characterization differences between the book and the movie that bugged me. I don't think it's going to be the hit that Hunger Games was, but I look forward to seeing where they go from here.

      Delete
  2. I think I need to take a lesson from you. If nobody wants to go, go to a movie by myself! Glad you had a relaxing and enjoyable day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do enjoy going to a movie by myself. It's not like you can socialize during the movie anyway.

      Delete
  3. If I have "me" time, I am taking a nap! Glad you enjoyed your day. I'll have to see Divergent AFTER I read the book. On my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nap was Part 4 of "me" day! I always think books are better than the movies, but sometimes I think it's harder to watch the movie after reading the book because you have such high expectations for it.

      Delete